About Lib Dems Abroad
As an internationalist party the Liberal Democrats are proud to have many members and supporters living overseas. Lib Dems Abroad is an organisation set up by the Party in 2010 which aims to:
- help our members and supporters stay in touch with the Party in the UK
- ensure that the Party understand the concerns of its members overseas
- help to set up Lib Dems Abroad networks overseas and give them support
- encourage our members and supporters to register to vote in the UK
- encourage supporters to join the Party
We also want to have as many of our supporters living overseas who are eligible to vote to do so in the General Elections in 2015. These are fascinating times in UK politics and as a member of a coalition government we are in a position to make a difference. And we need your support.
Exactly who can vote?
British citizens who live overseas but were last on a UK electoral register within the last 15 years can vote in elections. If you are abroad but not on the electoral register, you'll need to contact the council for the area where you last lived in the UK.
People who were under the age of 18 when their parents moved abroad can also vote once they reach 18 - for up to 15 years from the time when their parents were last registered in the UK.
How do I join the Party?
Liberal Democrats supporters living overseas can join the party by clicking here. If you live in Europe, join the local party for members there. Further details from http://uklibdems.eu/. We hope to be able to announce new branches soon.