We are committed to increasing diversity throughout the party, and encouraging those from a diverse range of backgrounds to represent the Liberal Democrats at all levels. Below you can find out more about the diversity of our candidates for the General Election in 2010 and the upcoming General Election in 2015.
Parliamentary Candidates standing for 2015 General Election
- The total number of candidates currently selected: 631
- Total number of selected women: 162 (26%)
- Total number of selected candidates identifying as Black, Asian or Ethnic Minority (BAME): 54 (9%)
- Total number of selected candidates identifying as LGBT: 37 (6%)
- Total number of selected candidate who identify as disabled: 33 (5%)
8 of the 11 candidates replacing retiring MPs in this cycle are from under-represented groups:
- 6 are women
- 1 is from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background
- 1 identifies as LGBT
The Party also offers mentoring to support individuals who are in the process of becoming, or thinking of becoming, parliamentary candidates. It aims to assist applicants at various stages of the approvals and selection process, whether they need general information about the process, specific advice about their individual situation, or skills-based help in a particular area.
Additionally, the Party also runs The Leadership Programme which is designed to support and encourage potential Parliamentary candidates from under-represented groups who want to stand for the most competitive seats in the Party. Currently, 6% of all our candidates for the 2015 general election are on this Programme.
The Party also has several well-established associated organisations which work to promote and represent the interests of specific groups within the Party. These groups include: Ethnic Minority Liberal Democrats, Liberal Democrats Disability Association, Liberal Democrats Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender group (LGBT+), Liberal Youth and Women Liberal Democrats.
For more information about any of the candidate initiatives run by the Party please contact email@example.com.
Parliamentary Candidates who stood in 2010 General Election
- The total number of selected candidates standing: 633
- Total number of women: 133 (21%)
- Total number of candidates identifying as Black, Asian or Ethnic Minority (BAME): 43 (7%)
- Total number of candidates who identify as disabled: 16 (3%)
The Party significantly improved the number of women standing in strong seats in 2010. Approximately a third of our most notionally winnable seats had women candidates, and half our retiring MPs were replaced with women candidates.