Widely known today as the pioneer of widows' rights and the instigator of International Widows Day, Lord Loomba's campaigning achievements are founded on a successful business career as the founder of Rinku Group, the fashion and clothing company of which he is Chief Executive.
Lord Loomba feels humbled and honoured to have been appointed a Liberal Democrat Life Peer on 17th January 2011. Equality, fairness and justice will be the theme of his contribution.
As a long standing supporter of business and cultural relations between India and the United Kingdom, Raj Loomba has worked extensively with politicians and business people in both countries to create ongoing opportunities for the future.
Lord Loomba is a tireless campaigner for improving the plight of widows and their children all over the world. Raj and his wife Veena set up the Shrimati Pushpa Wati Loomba Foundation as a charitable foundation in 1997; in the 15 years since its inception the Foundation has concentrated on building programmes to educate the children of poor widows in India and to empower widows in many countries in South Asia and across Africa
The Loomba Foundation is honoured that the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations has granted Special Consultative Status to the Loomba Foundation during its 2012 Substantive Session in July. Special Consultative Status is conferred upon those non-governmental organizations that demonstrate a special competence in a select field of concern. This designation will allow the Foundation to send official representatives to participate in events and conferences at the United Nations. Presence at these United Nations events will strengthen the Foundation’s connection to the United Nations community and enable the Foundation to make important contributions to the conversations about the rights of widows worldwide.
The Loomba Foundation has funded the education of over 6,500 children of poor widows to support 27,000 family members in 29 states of India since 1999, and aims to empower 10,000 widows through a sewing machine training programme this year.
Positions and Memberships
- Barnardos, Vice President (2005 - Current)
- Safer London Foundation, Vice-president (2006 - Current)
- Friends of the Three Faiths Forum, Chairman (2007 - Current)
- Member of the Board of Governors of UEL (2008 - 2012)
- Oxfam, Member of Development Board (2008 - 2011)
- London First, Member of President’s council (2004 - 2006)
- London First, Board Member (2002 - 2004)
- Patron of Princes Council
- Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham House), Council Member (2002 - 2009)
- Rotary Club of London, Member (2001 - Current)
- Children in Need India, Patron (2002 - Current)
- World Punjabi Organisation, Founding Patron (2002 - Current)
- Gates, Vice Patron (2000 – Current)
- Ambassador of Global Partnership Forum (2011 - Current)
- The Loomba Foundation, Founder and Chairman Trustee (1997 - Current)
- The British Indian Golden Jubilee Fund (1999 - Current)
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh Trust (India), Trustee (2007 - Current)