Living in Britain today, we all know the scale of the problems approaching us - and yet it seems that no-one has the courage to argue for the radical solutions we need.
Runaway climate change; an aging population; healthcare and housing both in crisis; the passing of the liberal international order; the commercialisation of our private data; the risks and rewards of automation and AI; one tax system for multinationals and the rich, another for everyone else.
The list goes on.
Unless we take firm action we will bow to these pressures, leaving the young and the vulnerable unable to lead the rich, full lives they deserve.
In the face of such daunting forces, we must find radical new solutions to protect the power of the citizen - over their own lives, over the decisions that affect them, over the world around them.
This is the Liberalism of tomorrow - the Liberalism Britain so badly needs.
To that end, the Ashdown Prize for Radical Thought will be awarded to the boldest new policy idea that best empowers the citizen in the Britain of today and tomorrow.
The deadline for submissions is midnight on Sunday 8th April. My team of judges and I will announce a shortlist of three ideas on Monday 14th May, after which members of the Liberal Democrats will be invited to vote on which of the three ideas should win the Ashdown Prize.
If you win the prize, you'll get to:
- Meet with me in the House of Lords to discuss how to take your idea forward.
- Receive a £500 award donated by Your Liberal Britain.
- Receive support from the team at Your Liberal Britain to turn your idea into a policy motion for debate at Lib Dem Autumn Conference 2018.
- Join forces with me at Conference to speak in favour of your idea, if it is selected for debate (which is out of our hands).
To take part, you just need to fill out this form:
To enter, you'll need to write:
- A six-word summary of the problem you're trying to solve.
- A solution to your problem that is bold, it must be new to the Lib Dems, and it must empower the citizen.
- A six-word summary of your solution
- A clear idea how your idea empowers people
- A clear idea how you'd convince someone your idea is a good one
And of course, you'll need a big, bold, radical idea - that will empower citizens and tackle one of the big issues facing Britain today. So, if you think you've got an idea, don't wait, submit it here: