The Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) Party is the party for liberal democrat values in Europe.
Together with our liberal member parties across the European continent we are translating the principle of freedom into politics, economics and all other areas of our societies. The ALDE Party provides an increasingly vital link between citizens and the EU institutions and is continuously growing in size and significance.
You can find the ALDE Party Political Programme here: https://www.aldeparty.eu/political-programme-and-european-elections-manifestos
Liberal Democrats created their European political family in 1976 in view of the first European elections and in 1993 was established as a true transnational political party.
Formerly the European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party (ELDR), on 10 November 2012 at the Congress in Dublin, European Liberal Democrat delegates voted overwhelmingly to change the name of the party to Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe Party (ALDE) to strengthen links with the ALDE Parliamentary group.
Leaders and key figures
Leaders and key figures
Hans van Baalen was elected President of the European Liberal Democrats for a two-year mandate on 21 November 2015 at the Congress in Budapest, Hungary, and re-elected in Amsterdam on 3 December 2017. The ALDE Party receives its day to day guidance from the Bureau composed of nine members and six ex-officio members.
Members of the ALDE Party Bureau
- Hans van Baalen, VVD, The Netherlands
- Dita Charanzová, ANO, Czech Republic
- Timmy Dooley TD, Fianna Fáil, Ireland
- Annelou van Egmond, D66, The Netherlands
- Fredrick Federley, Centerpartiet, Sweden
- Luis Garicano, Ciudadanos, Spain
- Ilhan Kyuchyuk, MRF, Bulgaria
- Markus Löning, FDP, Germany
- Henrik Bach Mortensen, Venstre, Denmark
- Gašper Koprivšek, SMC, Slovenia
The ALDE Party brings together Members of the European Parliament among its member parties. Together with the MEPs from the European Democratic Party and the Renaissance list, they form the third largest political force in the European Parliament, Renew Europe, which is led by former Romanian Prime Minister Dacian Cioloș MEP.
Eight EU Prime Ministers belong to ALDE Party member parties
- Andrej Babiš, Prime Minister of the Czech Republic
- Xavier Bettel, Prime Minister of Luxembourg
- Charles Michel, Prime Minister of Belgium
- Jüri Ratas, Prime Minister of Estonia
- Mark Rutte,Prime Minister of The Netherlands
- Marjan Šarec, Prime Minister of Slovenia
On 10 September, the incoming European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen revealed the distribution of portfolios in the new European Commission, of which Six European Commissioners (OLD but valid LINK – new one not available yet) represent liberal democrats
- Sylvie Goulard, Commissioner for Internal Market
- Věra Jourová, Commissioner and Vice-president for Values and Transparency
- Janez Lenarčič, Commissioner for Crisis Management
- Didier Reynders, Commissioner for Justice
- Kadri Simson, Commissioner for Energy
- Margrethe Vestager, Commissioner and Executive vice president for the Digital Age
In 60 years of European integration, the European Union has served us well in achieving peace, stability and prosperity. The EU has promoted and extended to half a billion people the four freedoms: the free movement of people, services, capital and goods across borders. We want the Union to play a key leadership role in tackling today’s and tomorrow’s global challenges.
- We strengthen the Liberal Democrat movement in the EU and throughout Europe;
- We assist Liberal Democrat politicians across Europe to become better acquainted and to define a common political vision;
- We draw up and adopt a common manifesto for the European Parliament elections.
Values & Messages
> Democracy, the rule of law, human rights, tolerance and solidarity
The ALDE Party believes in a Europe based on the fundamental Liberal principles of liberty, democracy, the rule of law, human rights, tolerance and solidarity.
> A fair, free and open society
We believe in a fair, free and open society which harnesses the abilities of each and every one of its citizens to participate fully in society, presenting them with the opportunities to fulfil their potential, free from poverty, ignorance, and discrimination.
> A prosperous Europe
To achieve these goals, we are striving to complete the internal market as a truly common economic area without internal frontiers and to reform Europe's economy to make it more prosperous and competitive, with more jobs and stable prices for consumers, based on the principle of globally inclusive international free trade.
> Sustainable development and peace in the world
We are working to promote sustainable development and to protect our environment. We are campaigning for a safe and just society, ensuring a more peaceful and stable world.
> EU enlargement
As the most consistent and long-standing advocates of an early and wide enlargement of the European Union, we are delighted to have welcomed into the Union our friends from the new Member States. We are firmly resolved to further deepen, reinforce and enlarge the European Union.
> A transparent, democratic and accountable Europe
We campaign for a more transparent, democratic and accountable Europe, taking decisions only on those matters which require European solutions. We are in favour of a systematic application of the subsidiarity principle in order to bring decision-making as close to the citizen as possible.
> A European Constitution
ALDE Party supports a constitutional settlement for Europe. Liberal Democrats all over Europe have always campaigned for a strong constitution as the basis of democracy.