Helen Korfanty was born in Sheffield South Yorkshire and describes herself as being raised as a “Working Class Tory.” Her mother went to night school to take GCSE’s and then qualified as a nurse. Her father a pipe fitter in the steel industry was a Polish survivor of the Nazi Concentration Camps.
After her Grammar School education she graduated from Swansea University with a social science Degree, in Politics and Economics. then qualified as a solicitor.
Thereafter she worked in practices that provided Legal Aid Advice. She has since volunteered with Rape Survivors, Victim Support and the CAB. Her motivation has been to work for access to justice and fair outcomes for everyone in society.
By the time she had qualified she realized that Conservatism lacked compassion and voted Liberal Democrats thereafter.
She joined Bates Wells and Braithwaite’s solicitors Sudbury in 1987 retiring as senior partner. She has lived and worked in Bury St Edmunds for 20 years.
She joined the Party in 2014 and was a candidate for Suffolk’s PCC in 2016.
Helen considers that she has had a fortunate life and wants the younger generations to have the same opportunities that she has had. She wants to live in a kinder and fairer society.
If elected her priorities would be,
- To support local businesses through the uncertainty of the Brexit negotiations and be the voice for the local community guarding against the consequences of a “hard brexit.”
- Work for improved education and training for all children and students in Suffolk
- Promote innovative ways to increase all types of housing provision.
- Work for cross party agreement to deal with the current crisis in Social Care and the NHS
- Environmental protect and combating climate change.
01284 753 240