Mike Crockart has been the MP for Edinburgh West since 2010.
Mike was born and brought up in Perth, before moving to Edinburgh to study Politics at Edinburgh University in 1984.
Before being elected Mike worked in the public and financial services in Edinburgh, served as a police officer in Lothian & Borders Police for eight years and worked as a systems developer and IT Project Manager.
He has been campaigning for the Liberal Democrats in Edinburgh since 1985, fighting council by-elections and seats at Scottish and Westminster elections.
He believes passionately that the best campaigners and elected representatives are those who understand and experience local issues and concerns for themselves.
Record Of Delivery
Mike has a strong record of delivering for local people. As an MP, Mike has:
- Been instrumental in bringing the Green Investment Bank to Edinburgh
- Successfully ran the ‘100 jobs in 100 days’ campaign to promote employment for young people in Edinburgh
- Launched the ‘No 2 Nuisance Calls’ campaign in conjunction with the Sunday Post and presented a petition of nearly 20,000 signatures to Downing Street.
- Campaigned to save Port Edgar and the front-desk service at South Queensferry Police Station
- Set up the Edinburgh West Business Forum to help local businesses of all sizes in Edinburgh.
Mike is the founder and Co-Chair of the All Party Group on Nuisance Calls and he is working closely with the regulators, consumer groups and the Government to make sure that consumers are protected from nuisance calls and spam text messages.
He is also continuing his campaign to bring superfast broadband to the rural communities of Edinburgh West.
Mike’s main political Interests include: Energy and Climate Change, Nuisance Calls and consumer rights, Business, Apprenticeships and training, Social mobility, Scotland
- 2010-: Elected as Member of Parliament for Edinburgh West
- 2010-2010: PPS to Michael Moore MP as Secretary of State for Scotland
- 2011-2012: Member of the Joint Committee on Human Rights
- 2012-2013: Liberal Democrat Spokesperson for Energy and Climate Change
- 2012-: Vice Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Social Mobility, Vice Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Religious Education
- 2012-: Member of the Business Innovation and Skills Select Committee, Member of the Scottish Affairs Select Committee
- 2013-: Co-Chair and founder of All Party Parliamentary Group on Nuisance Calls
- 2013 -: Member of the Committee on Arms Export Controls
0131 339 0339
185 St John’s Road,