The FPC has set up a new policy working group on the Nature of Public Debate.
The Federal Policy Committee has set up a new working group to develop new Liberal Democrat Policy on the Nature of Public Debate.
The working group will look into the developing challenges to high-quality public debate, including:
- The role of facts and truth in public debate, and how promoting their central importance can be balanced with freedom of speech.
- How "balance" should be understood in public service broadcasting.
- The manipulation of news and information as a tool of state warfare.
- Tackling extremely hostile online behaviour
- The role and regulation of social media companies
- The viability and future of traditional journalism (local and national)
The working group's full remit is available here.
Additional information about the working group will be available on the Policy Working Groups page.