Responsible to: West Midlands Campaigns Manager
Salary: £25,000 p.a (pro rata)
Benefit: 8% Employer’s Pension Contribution
Tenure: Part-time – 16 hours per week (fixed term contract until 31 December, with a view to it being extended)
Location: Home-based, a location commutable around the West Midlands.
Purpose of job
To deliver election success in priority areas across the West Midlands, with a clear objective of putting “more gold on the map” – be it Lib Dem MPs, Lib Dem-led Councils, Lib Dem Mayors or Lib Dem PCCs.
It is recommended that you read the full job description before applying for this role.
For questions and further details, and to submit an application, please contact:
Please apply by email attaching:
- A copy of your CV; including complete work history
- A Covering Letter; no more than 2 pages of A4 in length, indicating clearly how your experience and skills meet the criteria stated in the job and person specification. Please also write your name on top of your supporting statement.
- A completed diversity monitoring form
Applicants are encouraged to inform us if any reasonable adjustments are needed to be made during any part of the recruitment process.
Please let us have details of your current salary and two referees including one from your current employer – if you would prefer us not to contact them until a later stage of the selection process, please let us know.
We will be reviewing applications as they come in and reserve the right to appoint prior to the closing date
Please note: We will not be able to employ you if you are not eligible to work in the UK. We will not be able to obtain a work permit on your behalf.
The Liberal Democrats are equal opportunity employers and particularly welcome applications from groups who are currently under-represented in our staff.
Purpose of job
To deliver election success in priority areas across the West Midlands, with a clear objective of putting “more gold on the map” – be it Lib Dem MPs, Lib Dem-led Councils, Lib Dem Mayors or Lib Dem PCCs. Key Responsibilities include:
1. Working under the direction of the Campaigns manager, take responsibility for developing up to date Development Plans for local parties in the Region. Maintain a rolling overview of their delivery and advise the Campaigns manager on resources needed to achieve goals;
2. Support the Campaigns Manager in delivering the seat support programme agreed between LDHQ and the Regional Party to develop the skills of volunteers and staff, build party capacity, and win elections;
3. Increase the take up of national campaigns and messages that grow the Liberal Democrat brand and movement;
4. Maintain records of local party development plans as they are created, and
successfully appointed Liberal Democrats. Create a shared space for these documents
which is accessible to the Campaigns Manager and selected regional staff.
We are looking for a good campaign administrator who can assist in delivering election
success for the Liberal Democrats.
The heart of this role is working closely with local staff and volunteers to support the
development of local campaigning in key areas through our seat support programme.
You’ll be a self-motivated person, with strong administration and communication skills
and the ability to build strong working relationships.
You’ll be a person at ease with the latest online and offline campaign techniques. Ideally
you will have been part of a successful election campaign and will have a good
understanding of what it takes to win.
You will have sound political judgement, a good understanding of voters, and will know
what it takes for candidates to cross the winning line.
You will be well organised and able to work without direct supervision in a challenging
A good temperament that allows you to deal with the unexpected is a must.
You will need strong communications skills, and must also show a willingness to
innovate, experiment, and share best practice.
This role will suit someone who enjoys variety in their work and working with teams
with differing needs and levels of development.
Essential Skills and Experience
1. Campaigning experience
2. Political messaging experience
3. Excellent organisational and planning skills
4. Strong verbal and written communication skills
6. A good understanding of how to engage with members and voters
7. Confidence in working with data
8. Experience working with volunteers
9. (Ideally) a full clean driving licence and access to a vehicle
10. Sympathy with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats Desirable Skills and
13. Awareness or experience of some or all of the following systems: Nation builder, Lib
Dem Connect, Lighthouse and Affinity Publisher (or the predecessor package Page Plus)