Dear Michael Gove,
Our oceans are under threat. Plastic is having a devastating effect on our seas and destroying marine life. A horrific 8 million tonnes of plastic are dumped into the ocean every year.
The Government must act now to stop the excessive use of plastic which ends up in our waters and poisons or suffocates precious sea creatures.
We ask you to:
- Commit to a Plastic-Free Charter to eradicate unnecessary plastic waste from Government Departments and set an example to businesses and consumers.
- Tackle our throw-away culture by providing incentives for reuse and recycling, including a plastic bottle return scheme and a 5p charge on disposable coffee cups.
- Encourage businesses to reduce plastic packaging and introduce plastic free aisles in supermarkets.
- Work closely with other countries to find global solutions to tackle the crisis of ocean pollution.
- Invest in research and development into non-plastic alternative materials which are cost effective and sustainable in the long-term.
Please commit to making real change to protect our oceans before it’s too late.
Your name here...