This working group has now concluded.
Conference debated the Social Security policy paper at autumn conference 2016 in Brighton.
The motion was passed by conference with one amendment. This amendment agreed to scrap the sanctions system for benefits and replace it with an incentivised scheme. You can find the full text of the motion as passed here.
Among our top policy proposals are:
Tackling child poverty by:
- Letting both parents earn before their Universal Credit is cut
- Opposing government cuts to family benefits
- Getting rid of the two-child limit for tax credits and family elements of Universal Credit
- Scrapping the current, unfair Work Capability Assessment for disabled people
- Protecting people from losing their homes when they lose their jobs by helping them to pay into additional insurance schemes with their employer